Sunday, July 17, 2011

Curve to Curve Interview: Asha T. Campbell

This past week The Curvealicious Chrnicles had the opportunity to sit down with the lovely and talented make-up artist Asha Campbell. We hope you enjoy the interview!


When did you 'love affair' with make-up begin?
My love affair with makeup began when I was about 4 or 5 years old. I would watch my mom do her makeup in the morning and beg her to put lipstick on me. I remember being so fascinated with the colors.

How long have you been doing make-up?
I have been doing makeup since 1991. Back then, I was assisting my mom with a job she had working for a major cosmetic line. I was only in Junior High School at the time. That experience along with natural talent landed me a job working for MAC in 2007. That's when I began my current career as a professional MUA.

What make-up is in your purse?

I have about 10 lipsticks and glosses in my purse (laughing). The lips are the only thing I need to touch up through out the day.

What has been your career high-light to date?
My career highlight is doing Mona Scott-Young's (Executive Producer of VH1s Love & Hip Hop) makeup for the Love & Hip Hop launch party. It was such an honor to work with someone who has helped pave the way for us curvy gals!

What are your goals and aspirations?
My goals and aspirations are ever evolving but right now I would love to be a special correspondent for magazines and television shows for makeup. I actually have a background in Public Health and am media trained so I'd love to pull those skills into the world of beauty.

What make-up do you recommend that will fit every curvy's budget?

NYX jumbo pencils are super cool and affordable. They are between $3 and $5 each and can be used as eyeliner, eyeshadow base, eyeshadow and even blush.

What essentials do you feel every curvy needs on before she leaves the house for the day?
Foundation is number one for me because a smooth, blemish free canvas makes one appear healthy and radiant. Next to that I say mascara to accentuate the eyes and blush or bronzer to give the cheeks a healthy glow.

What is the one make-up line that carries a lip stick or lip gloss that works on every single complexion and looks good at every age?
Wow! That's a hard one. I think the MAC cremesheen glass line has something for everyone. The colors are muted and flat but still glossy. They aren't sticky. Deelight, Boy Bait & Over Indulgence are some of my favorites.

What are your tips on how to salvage that last bit of lipstick in the tube?
If you have a bunch of lipsticks that you are scraping to get product out of...you can take a clean disposable mascara wand and use the handle end of it to dig the remaining lipstick out. Empty the lipstick into a pill box and label each section so you know which lipstick is which.

What are your thoughts on make-up color and why every curvy girl should embrace it?
I love love love color! I think it makes things more interesting, artsy and beautiful. When added to the face & used correctly, color can really enhance your beauty and wake you up. If you are afraid of color but thinking of trying it, consult the professionals. That's what we're here for!


Check back for Asha's monthly Guest Blog feature 'BlueDini' as she dishes out tips and tricks of the trade that every curvy should add to her make-up arsenal.


Find Asha on the web at:
Www.DoubleTakeMakeup.com


Contact Asha at:
Ashatcampbell@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment