Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Curvespiration: Celebrity Photographer Rowena Husbands

Late last year I was introduced to celebrity photographer Rowena Husbands, it was love at first site...Rowena is one of the most down to earth people that I have ever met and also an absolute sweetheart. I hope you enjoy this peek into her world.



Until Next Time,


Etoile



When did you 'love affair' with photography begin?
I worked for Canon USA after my daughter was born and I had borrowed some camera equipment to take pictures of her. In 1993 when she was about 3 yrs old I took her to a well known celebrity photographer to have her modeling photos done... and after seeing his photos I said to myself “I can do this” and I started taking her pictures myself.

How long have you been working as a photographer?
I have been working as a photographer for about 17 years.

At what point did you realize that photography was not only something that you liked to do but something that you were passionate about?
When I was told by famed photographer Daniel Perry and choreographer Robin Dunn that I had such confidence and a great eye for photography; that is when it became a passion for me and not just a hobby.

What was your entree into the world of celebrity photography?
My entry in to the world of celebrity photography was when my friend Choreographer Robin Dunn introduced me to Mona Scott-Young who at the time managed the careers of Busta, Missy Elliott, Q Tip, Foxy Brown, LL, and Allure. Mona Scott-Young gave me the first opportunity to photograph her girl group Allure's album release party, and then by word of mouth I started getting calls from other people in the industry to shoot events, and the rest is “Herstory” which is the way I like to refer to my story.

What has been your career high-light to date?
When I was hired by publicist Gwendolyn Quinn, to shoot the Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin at BB Kings…I still have a copy of the check she gave me...

Who are a few people that you photographed that you just could not believe that you had the opportunity to photograph?
Susan Lucci, Tandi Newton, Alicia Keys , Michael Bolton…there are far to many to name...

What projects are you working on now?
I am currently working as the official ‘on-set’ photographer for VH1’s “Love & Hip Hop” Season 2.

Who are some of your clients that you work with on a regular basis?
Missy Elliott, Actor Jamie Hector, and I am also the official photographer for New York Women in Film & TV.

What are your goals and aspirations?
My goals & Aspirations are to be the best person and photographer that I can be, I am constantly challenging myself in my craft. I also plan on beginning a mentoring program for young women who are interested in being a photographer

Where can we expect to see Rowena in the future?
You can expect to see me on the big screen in the near future...

Check out Rowena's Web-Site Here:
www.blinkofaneyephotographyonline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment